Recently the 451 team listened in on a free Business Wire webinar titled “Press Releases and Twitter: What to Expect When you Tweet Your News Release.” Experts on the call were Monika Maeckle and Joseph Miller with Business Wire. As an agency specializing in blending PR, social media and search marketing for integrated campaigns, the 451 team is practiced in using Twitter to promote client news, but webinars like this one almost always provide a few useful tips. Business Wire polled the audience listening in, and we were surprised to learn that 25% of those polled weren’t on Twitter and out of the 75% of listeners using Twitter 65% of them use Twitter.com as their primary Twitter application.
Here are a few more key takeaways from the webinar:
- The most Retweeted content is “news”
- Thursday afternoon is the best time for tweets; Friday is the best for Retweets
- Hashtags are very important – they extend the reach of your news
- It’s not just about the amount of followers you have, but more about providing content to those who are most relevant (Monitter.com)
- Use trending topics in tweets to help gain exposure
- Whatthetrend.com helps you find out what is trending on Twitter and why
- Danzarella.com: Social Media and Twitter guru advises, “Don’t be negative. Always say please. Don’t follow more people than are following you.”
- Useful tools for finding journalists online include journalisttweets.com and muckrack.com
- Interesting Twitter project: Measuring User Influence in Twitter: The Million Follower Fallacy – http://twitter.mpi-sws.org/
Do you tweet your news? What best practices do you swear by for expanding the reach of your announcement?